Dirtyknees...

"Why is this dripping?" is never a good question.

Salvador


This is our second day in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil. This area used to be one of the major slave ports. The culture here is a bit different than in Rio. Obviously, there´s a lot more black people, the food is different, and there´s emotion, color, and music everywhere.

They call it the black rome. The central square looks a lot like Rome with all the fountains, cobblestone streets, and old buildings, but once you get into your cab it feels like a very dfferent place psychologically.

Ever see the movie Black Hawk Down? Tons of strong local men surrounded us and started hitting the car when we arrived. Random people crowded us and bombareded us with questions. It was confusing and potentially dangerous because we did´t know where we were and people were following us.

We ended up gathering around some military police until the stalkers left. Then we explored the town some more, ate, drank, danced, and listened to local drummers who specialize in a music called Olodum.

Today, we hired a driver to go to a beach about 45 kms away. It was fantastic. Local men were catching sting rays and octopi with spears and I saw a group of boys catching 1 to 2 pound tunas with their bare hands. I watching the activity on the beach and body surfing whenever I needed to cool off.

When we came back, we walked next door and had gelato. It was my first time eating gelato and I loved it. I tested a lot of different flavors, but I liked corn flavor the best. Corn gelato tastes like the candy corn you eat around Haloween.

Tonight, we´re meeting a Brazilian friend for a Samba concert. I can´t drink as much as I have been. It´s enough to be slightly jet lagged. I don´t need a hangover ontop of it.

Ciao.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home