Robado!
We had just finished our complimentary breakfast of granola, yogurt, papaya, coffee, and bread when Amy decided to get up from the table to use the bathroom. I told her I was going to get up from the table also and drink my coffee in front of the computer. So, I sat in front of the computer and did just that until I heard the doorbell ring. One of the hosts from our posada answered the door and it was Aaron, our other travel companion. I greeted him with a wave and a "What´s up?". Then, I heard some gasps and rapid foreign yelping coming from the dining area. One of the kitchen ladies reported that Amy´s purse was missing.
Evidently, a guy posing as a new guest from Argentina ran away with the wallet. Aaron saw him sprinting down the street.
While we were eating, he was sitting a few yards away drinking a mineral water. He looked clean and respectable. We had been the only people staying here and the place is a veritable fortress that sits high above the street with all types of crazy bars over the windows, so we developed a false sense of security.
Amy was pretty surprised and a little shaken up. There wasn´t any currency or important forms of I.D. in the wallet, just a few centavos, two Visa cards, and Amy´s PADI certification.
We had a hell of a time trying to call the Visa card companies. The biggest calling cards they sell here run out after just a minute or two while making a U.S. phone call. The posada´s manager felt obliged to let us use the house phone to cancel the cards. It took about fifty minutes to cancel the cards.
For the next half hour, Amy encouraged us to look into garbage cans on the street and on the beach in case the robber flung the empty wallet somewhere. She thought her driver´s license might have been in the wallet. I convinced her to call off the search. The wallet, I reasoned, had way to many little compartments and pockets to examine on the fly. The robber would have to go to a quiet, secure place to look over the booty.
Later, she found her license in our room safe upstairs. She also checked her statement throughout the day and nothing posted. We had a good time throughout the day talking about the exciting event. It seemed to break up the last couple of days of monotony. Before the robbery, we were a little to focused on practical travel stuff like buying last minute gifts and confirming our flights. The robbery allowed us to be placed in the center of danger and intrigue, even if it only was for fifty minutes.
We had just finished our complimentary breakfast of granola, yogurt, papaya, coffee, and bread when Amy decided to get up from the table to use the bathroom. I told her I was going to get up from the table also and drink my coffee in front of the computer. So, I sat in front of the computer and did just that until I heard the doorbell ring. One of the hosts from our posada answered the door and it was Aaron, our other travel companion. I greeted him with a wave and a "What´s up?". Then, I heard some gasps and rapid foreign yelping coming from the dining area. One of the kitchen ladies reported that Amy´s purse was missing.
Evidently, a guy posing as a new guest from Argentina ran away with the wallet. Aaron saw him sprinting down the street.
While we were eating, he was sitting a few yards away drinking a mineral water. He looked clean and respectable. We had been the only people staying here and the place is a veritable fortress that sits high above the street with all types of crazy bars over the windows, so we developed a false sense of security.
Amy was pretty surprised and a little shaken up. There wasn´t any currency or important forms of I.D. in the wallet, just a few centavos, two Visa cards, and Amy´s PADI certification.
We had a hell of a time trying to call the Visa card companies. The biggest calling cards they sell here run out after just a minute or two while making a U.S. phone call. The posada´s manager felt obliged to let us use the house phone to cancel the cards. It took about fifty minutes to cancel the cards.
For the next half hour, Amy encouraged us to look into garbage cans on the street and on the beach in case the robber flung the empty wallet somewhere. She thought her driver´s license might have been in the wallet. I convinced her to call off the search. The wallet, I reasoned, had way to many little compartments and pockets to examine on the fly. The robber would have to go to a quiet, secure place to look over the booty.
Later, she found her license in our room safe upstairs. She also checked her statement throughout the day and nothing posted. We had a good time throughout the day talking about the exciting event. It seemed to break up the last couple of days of monotony. Before the robbery, we were a little to focused on practical travel stuff like buying last minute gifts and confirming our flights. The robbery allowed us to be placed in the center of danger and intrigue, even if it only was for fifty minutes.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home