Holiday Prophecy
When I was a kid, just six years old, I was at my Aunt Jodie's house on Christmas Eve when a great moment of clarity and fear overtook me.
I sat on a short series of steps that led to the sunken family room and the men playing pool. Above me was the kitchen, and all the women in my family -- the cousins, aunts, mother, and sister -- all were laughing while preparing a great feast.
My grandfather, back then an older middle aged man, sent the cue ball down the felt and delivered a lively blast.
Someday, Papa, you will die.
Upstairs, I hear my grandmother giving her opinion on the ham's doneness.
You will die, too, Grandma.
Cousins.
You will marry and move away.
Then, you will die.
At twenty-nine, Easter is a lonely holiday.
Who will be left to celebrate?
Papa drew back behind the nine and I hear baby McKenzie crying from the corner of the wood paneled room.
Thank God. Families grow.
When I was a kid, just six years old, I was at my Aunt Jodie's house on Christmas Eve when a great moment of clarity and fear overtook me.
I sat on a short series of steps that led to the sunken family room and the men playing pool. Above me was the kitchen, and all the women in my family -- the cousins, aunts, mother, and sister -- all were laughing while preparing a great feast.
My grandfather, back then an older middle aged man, sent the cue ball down the felt and delivered a lively blast.
Someday, Papa, you will die.
Upstairs, I hear my grandmother giving her opinion on the ham's doneness.
You will die, too, Grandma.
Cousins.
You will marry and move away.
Then, you will die.
At twenty-nine, Easter is a lonely holiday.
Who will be left to celebrate?
Papa drew back behind the nine and I hear baby McKenzie crying from the corner of the wood paneled room.
Thank God. Families grow.
3 Comments:
At 12:44 AM,
Christopher said…
I am happy that you're out and about and still blogging, cutie. My health has gotten better and it is nice to know you still write words that amuse me :):)
At 2:42 AM,
c. said…
Thanks for visiting again kissy. It was another amusing Easter in San Fran. You would have enjoyed the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence in Dolores. Missed you.
At 12:09 AM,
Anonymous said…
Hhhmmmm, dudes playing pool while the chicks are in the kitchen? What if a chick wants to rock the pool table???
Post a Comment
<< Home