Why Dad Doesn't Work for NASA
Whenever I come into Portland and a friend is picking me up at the airport, our conversation usually boils down to this:
Friend
What time you coming in?
Me
Noon. On Alaska.
Friend
Top or bottom?
Me
Just a carry on. Top.
Friend
Okay.
Me
Okay.
Friend
Bye.
Me
See you tomorrow. Bye.
Now, the same topic -- airport pickup -- discussed with my father:
Father
Okay, so what time are you arriving, one o'clock?
Me
Yeah. On Alaska.
Father
Okay. All right, then. I'll...one o'clock?
Me
Yes. Well, 12:51 to be exact.
Father
Okay. Twelve fifty-one. PM, right? (chuckle) You'll have your cell phone, right?
Me
Yes.
Father
I think I'll come about an hour early and wait around at a Hotel.
Me
Why?
Father
Just in case the flight is delayed or something. I do this when I pick up Jimmy. I just go to the Ramada and watch T.V., you know (chuckle).
Me
Okay. Yeah sure. Just in case. Good.
Father
So, are you going to be checking luggage?
Me
No.
Father
That's right, you never do. Okay. So, I'll pick you up top, at the departures area around one, tentatively...
Me
(tentatively?)
Father
...and if anything goes awry, you'll have a cell phone, right? Don't hesitate to call then. I mean -- you know, you can't use the cell until after you've actually landed?
Me
Right. Okay.
Father
See you then. Love you.
Me
Okay. Love you, too.
Father
Bye.
Me
Bye.
One year ago tomorrow.
Whenever I come into Portland and a friend is picking me up at the airport, our conversation usually boils down to this:
Friend
What time you coming in?
Me
Noon. On Alaska.
Friend
Top or bottom?
Me
Just a carry on. Top.
Friend
Okay.
Me
Okay.
Friend
Bye.
Me
See you tomorrow. Bye.
Now, the same topic -- airport pickup -- discussed with my father:
Father
Okay, so what time are you arriving, one o'clock?
Me
Yeah. On Alaska.
Father
Okay. All right, then. I'll...one o'clock?
Me
Yes. Well, 12:51 to be exact.
Father
Okay. Twelve fifty-one. PM, right? (chuckle) You'll have your cell phone, right?
Me
Yes.
Father
I think I'll come about an hour early and wait around at a Hotel.
Me
Why?
Father
Just in case the flight is delayed or something. I do this when I pick up Jimmy. I just go to the Ramada and watch T.V., you know (chuckle).
Me
Okay. Yeah sure. Just in case. Good.
Father
So, are you going to be checking luggage?
Me
No.
Father
That's right, you never do. Okay. So, I'll pick you up top, at the departures area around one, tentatively...
Me
(tentatively?)
Father
...and if anything goes awry, you'll have a cell phone, right? Don't hesitate to call then. I mean -- you know, you can't use the cell until after you've actually landed?
Me
Right. Okay.
Father
See you then. Love you.
Me
Okay. Love you, too.
Father
Bye.
Me
Bye.
One year ago tomorrow.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home