The question is, why did those teenagers just roll over and take it? To me, saying "fuck you" to the blatant misuse of authority is the essence of youth rebellion.
In those circumstances, I probably would have acted exactly like those kids did too. This realization made me sad. I've never openly defied anything in my life. What the fuck?
Open rebellion in the suburbs? I don't think it really exists. Sure lots of people will "rebel" secretly, but is it really a rebellion if it's done secretly? I don't think so.
As Cake so eloquently put it: Excess ain’t rebellion. You’re drinking what they’re selling. Your self-destruction doesn’t hurt them.
I'm disillusioned with the suburbs. "Disillusionment" is such a useless word.
The suburbs suck major goat. That's what I really want to say. "Disillusionment" is such a cop out. Don't say you are disillusioned with politics - say that politics sucks because it does. If you say "Oh I'm disillusioned" that frees you from any responsibility. You can just sit around and be disillusioned. If you say that American politics are fucked up though, there is a responsibility there. You must support your claims. You also have to try to change American politics and make them better. I'm disillusioned with the whole concept of disillusionment.
I think this is what those transcendentalist fuckers were talking about. Propaganda is such a big part of culture. It comes from universities, from big business, from government. It comes from the very cradle from your parents.
I define propaganda as something that isn't really true, but that someone convinces you is true because it is in their best interest.
And do you know what the secret rebellion is all about? It's propaganda meant to convince you that you are free from all the other propaganda. I thought for a long time that all my "rebellion" was actually doing something worthwhile, but it's not worth a damn if it's done in secret.
So I wonder how many people are raised orthodox, secretly rebel in some way, then go back to being orthodox with a few tiny changes. I would guess that a lot of people do.
So this is society and culture. This is what it's all about. Moving around from one set of propaganda to another. This isn't cool. This isn't kosher. This shit needs to change. This right here is the pinnacle of human civilization? This is the best we can do? I think not.
I'm a big fucking sell-out, just like all the people in your bus incident. We all sold-out.
nice post platypus. so you rebel in secret to start with. at least you realize there is a lot to rebel against (you're listening, you're awake). we may not see the revolution in our day, but it's going to happen. the oil wont last another 50 years. and the piglets that suckle to the nutrasweet teet of mass commerce as they sleep their way through generations of forgetfulness, when they are forced to wake up and see the evil machine will be desperate and hopeless.
when that happens, be there, stay awake. extend your hand, and give 'em a glass of water. because these days, following the herd is suicide, and cynism is pathetic. we have to be passionate, and we have to work to make it happen
nice post platypus. so you rebel in secret to start with. at least you realize there is a lot to rebel against (you're listening, you're awake). we may not see the revolution in our day, but it's going to happen. the oil wont last another 50 years. and the piglets that suckle to the nutrasweet teet of mass commerce as they sleep their way through generations of forgetfulness, when they are forced to wake up and see the evil machine will be desperate and hopeless.
when that happens, be there, stay awake. extend your hand, and give 'em a glass of water. because these days, following the herd is suicide, and cynism is pathetic. we have to be passionate, and we have to work to make it happen ks
6 Comments:
At 5:54 PM,
Anthi said…
Dammit, I lost my previous comment.
The question is, why did those teenagers just roll over and take it? To me, saying "fuck you" to the blatant misuse of authority is the essence of youth rebellion.
In those circumstances, I probably would have acted exactly like those kids did too. This realization made me sad. I've never openly defied anything in my life. What the fuck?
Open rebellion in the suburbs? I don't think it really exists. Sure lots of people will "rebel" secretly, but is it really a rebellion if it's done secretly? I don't think so.
As Cake so eloquently put it:
Excess ain’t rebellion.
You’re drinking what they’re selling.
Your self-destruction doesn’t hurt them.
I'm disillusioned with the suburbs. "Disillusionment" is such a useless word.
At 6:21 PM,
Anthi said…
(Oops, accidentally hit submit.)
The suburbs suck major goat. That's what I really want to say. "Disillusionment" is such a cop out. Don't say you are disillusioned with politics - say that politics sucks because it does. If you say "Oh I'm disillusioned" that frees you from any responsibility. You can just sit around and be disillusioned. If you say that American politics are fucked up though, there is a responsibility there. You must support your claims. You also have to try to change American politics and make them better. I'm disillusioned with the whole concept of disillusionment.
I think this is what those transcendentalist fuckers were talking about. Propaganda is such a big part of culture. It comes from universities, from big business, from government. It comes from the very cradle from your parents.
I define propaganda as something that isn't really true, but that someone convinces you is true because it is in their best interest.
And do you know what the secret rebellion is all about? It's propaganda meant to convince you that you are free from all the other propaganda. I thought for a long time that all my "rebellion" was actually doing something worthwhile, but it's not worth a damn if it's done in secret.
So I wonder how many people are raised orthodox, secretly rebel in some way, then go back to being orthodox with a few tiny changes. I would guess that a lot of people do.
So this is society and culture. This is what it's all about. Moving around from one set of propaganda to another. This isn't cool. This isn't kosher. This shit needs to change. This right here is the pinnacle of human civilization? This is the best we can do? I think not.
I'm a big fucking sell-out, just like all the people in your bus incident. We all sold-out.
At 9:08 AM,
Anonymous said…
nice post platypus. so you rebel in secret to start with. at least you realize there is a lot to rebel against (you're listening, you're awake). we may not see the revolution in our day, but it's going to happen. the oil wont last another 50 years. and the piglets that suckle to the nutrasweet teet of mass commerce as they sleep their way through generations of forgetfulness, when they are forced to wake up and see the evil machine will be desperate and hopeless.
when that happens, be there, stay awake. extend your hand, and give 'em a glass of water. because these days, following the herd is suicide, and cynism is pathetic. we have to be passionate, and we have to work to make it happen
At 9:09 AM,
Anonymous said…
nice post platypus. so you rebel in secret to start with. at least you realize there is a lot to rebel against (you're listening, you're awake). we may not see the revolution in our day, but it's going to happen. the oil wont last another 50 years. and the piglets that suckle to the nutrasweet teet of mass commerce as they sleep their way through generations of forgetfulness, when they are forced to wake up and see the evil machine will be desperate and hopeless.
when that happens, be there, stay awake. extend your hand, and give 'em a glass of water. because these days, following the herd is suicide, and cynism is pathetic. we have to be passionate, and we have to work to make it happen
ks
At 9:36 PM,
c. said…
Anthipatus,
You made me think about rebellion and how I responded to the incident.
Audioblogging was a quieter rebellion.
Giving the bus driver the bird (not mentioned in the post) after he sat back into his chair may have been a little louder.
But, over paying my fair by twenty-five cents and saying "thank you" to the driver as I disembarked was like swallowing my abusive master's load.
I too sell out.
Every
single
day.
At 9:39 PM,
c. said…
Anthiypatus. "y".
Post a Comment
<< Home