It would be so much easier if I liked dick.
For those of you not close to me, I am (hold on to your faded Diesel boot cut jeans) a practicing heterosexual male. I, however, was raised almost exclusively by females (except for one or two exceptionally emotional men -- my father and my pussy whipped, albeit Buddha minded, grandfather) and this has made me very seemingly gay.
Count them: a fashion minded mom, two aunts, five girl cousins and a sister. From the day I was born they would talk to me, confide in me, dress me, take me shopping, enlist me in the kitchen, teach me how to dress, show me how to cut hair, apply makeup, and kiss girls. Like a duckling raised from birth by a Labrador Retriever, I wasn't any wiser. I was one of them.
My class photos showed it. My bangs were always curled and I wore a tie with a matching crew neck sweater. It wasn't until Sprague High School that I was allowed to dress myself, but by then I was fully equipped for such a venture. They gave me the tools to look fabulous. So fabulous that I attracted the attention of Chad Witt. He was one of the most popular boys in the school, but the football team had an obvious aversion to his pencil thin neck and lisp. Chad hadn't a problem sitting with me at lunch every once in a while. He envied my butchness and I envied his perfectly feathered hair.
I was well-built and naturally gifted at athletics. But, because of the way I looked, and because I got along so well with people like Chad, not a day went by that I wasn't called "faggot" or "gay". I can clearly remember standing in line for drills on the football field, looking at all the tight, muscular asses while they crouched in their four point and three point stances. I wasn't revolted.
Am I gay? I would ask myself. Maybe they're right.
Being a virgin and having very little real life sexual experience with women, I simply did not know the answer -- that is until I left for the a small, private Catholic school called the University of Portland.
I attended the nursing school and the college of arts. My days were full of breast exams and Argentinian authors. Ninety percent of my contacts were women, therefore I never had to censor my hand gestures or hold back tears. I was always in approving company.
In my Sophomore year, I lost my virginity to Jessica Gomez and the thoughts of possibly being gay went to the back burner. With our breakup, however, came thoughts of monastic celibacy. My effeminate and meditative side was only reinforced though as girls didn't shy away. I soon learned as I prepared myself for priesthood -- the last stronghold of closeted homosexual men -- that chicks really dig emotion and spirituality. Fellow resident assistants on the other side of campus reported to me that Mandy Morris would put on the reddest of lipstick before meeting me for late night tea and study. She'd say things like, "I'm off to defrock a priest." And in this rested the paradox: the harder I tried to be celibate, the more attractive I became, and the more sex I got (except from Mandy Morris* ).
In the end, the pussy beat Jesus. He hadn't a chance. And I don't believe Jesus didn't have sex while he walked the Earth either. Impossible. Jesus was HOT! Middle Eastern women are HOT! (Middle Eastern men are HOT!) Tanned skin, hot desert sweat, crowds of enthusiastic followers, and water turning to wine! Jesus was a rock star. It had to happen.
Jump forward a little less than two thousand years. Place yourself in San Francisco. Place yourself in my shoes, with my background, with my upbringing, my present rock star demeanor (just kidding). You are me and they accept everyone here. Why would I want to live anywhere else?
I still get called faggot and gay, but it usually lacks the malice it, er, packed when I was younger. Today, I can consider these labels as compliments. Although this is an overgeneralization, depending on the context, it could mean I'm a stylish, sensitive, educated, witty social pioneer -- even a survivalist. Is there a better compliment?
But I'm not gay.
It would be so much easier if I just liked dick. There would be less confusion. Most people have problems with gray areas. They like to put people into cubby holes. He's black. She's Blonde. He's gay. She's bi.
Christian, he's [This space intentionally left blank]
Men who ride the fence have the most trouble. I'm a self described 4 out of 10. One is completely straight. Ten is completely gay. (And that's just in theory because, in my opinion, nobody is 100% anything.) More than ever, it's socially accepted for women to be bi-sexual, but less so for men. I've found that many bi-sexual women can't fathom the idea of bi-sexual men. You're either one or the other they suggest. After I talk to them, I want to be bi-sexual just to prove them wrong.
I've kissed men -- I mean really deep kisses -- only at parties, and under the influence of either drugs or alcohol, or both. But I've never had sex with a man. I can think of two men I really love and possibly could even have sex with... and boom! That's where you go from a three ----------------> to a four, maybe even a 4 + on my human sexuality spectrum.
For those of you who know me, I mean really know me, this is no news to you. For those of you who think you know me, those of you who are still holding out for me to be gay, you are going to be disappointed. If you're family, or friends of the family, I really don't think you're going to be surprised. I've never hidden much from you.
My true friends know me for who I really am.
My name is Christian.
I'm a 4+.
* Not so with her flight attendent sister and friend the night before graduation.
For those of you not close to me, I am (hold on to your faded Diesel boot cut jeans) a practicing heterosexual male. I, however, was raised almost exclusively by females (except for one or two exceptionally emotional men -- my father and my pussy whipped, albeit Buddha minded, grandfather) and this has made me very seemingly gay.
Count them: a fashion minded mom, two aunts, five girl cousins and a sister. From the day I was born they would talk to me, confide in me, dress me, take me shopping, enlist me in the kitchen, teach me how to dress, show me how to cut hair, apply makeup, and kiss girls. Like a duckling raised from birth by a Labrador Retriever, I wasn't any wiser. I was one of them.
My class photos showed it. My bangs were always curled and I wore a tie with a matching crew neck sweater. It wasn't until Sprague High School that I was allowed to dress myself, but by then I was fully equipped for such a venture. They gave me the tools to look fabulous. So fabulous that I attracted the attention of Chad Witt. He was one of the most popular boys in the school, but the football team had an obvious aversion to his pencil thin neck and lisp. Chad hadn't a problem sitting with me at lunch every once in a while. He envied my butchness and I envied his perfectly feathered hair.
I was well-built and naturally gifted at athletics. But, because of the way I looked, and because I got along so well with people like Chad, not a day went by that I wasn't called "faggot" or "gay". I can clearly remember standing in line for drills on the football field, looking at all the tight, muscular asses while they crouched in their four point and three point stances. I wasn't revolted.
Am I gay? I would ask myself. Maybe they're right.
Being a virgin and having very little real life sexual experience with women, I simply did not know the answer -- that is until I left for the a small, private Catholic school called the University of Portland.
I attended the nursing school and the college of arts. My days were full of breast exams and Argentinian authors. Ninety percent of my contacts were women, therefore I never had to censor my hand gestures or hold back tears. I was always in approving company.
In my Sophomore year, I lost my virginity to Jessica Gomez and the thoughts of possibly being gay went to the back burner. With our breakup, however, came thoughts of monastic celibacy. My effeminate and meditative side was only reinforced though as girls didn't shy away. I soon learned as I prepared myself for priesthood -- the last stronghold of closeted homosexual men -- that chicks really dig emotion and spirituality. Fellow resident assistants on the other side of campus reported to me that Mandy Morris would put on the reddest of lipstick before meeting me for late night tea and study. She'd say things like, "I'm off to defrock a priest." And in this rested the paradox: the harder I tried to be celibate, the more attractive I became, and the more sex I got (except from Mandy Morris* ).
In the end, the pussy beat Jesus. He hadn't a chance. And I don't believe Jesus didn't have sex while he walked the Earth either. Impossible. Jesus was HOT! Middle Eastern women are HOT! (Middle Eastern men are HOT!) Tanned skin, hot desert sweat, crowds of enthusiastic followers, and water turning to wine! Jesus was a rock star. It had to happen.
Jump forward a little less than two thousand years. Place yourself in San Francisco. Place yourself in my shoes, with my background, with my upbringing, my present rock star demeanor (just kidding). You are me and they accept everyone here. Why would I want to live anywhere else?
I still get called faggot and gay, but it usually lacks the malice it, er, packed when I was younger. Today, I can consider these labels as compliments. Although this is an overgeneralization, depending on the context, it could mean I'm a stylish, sensitive, educated, witty social pioneer -- even a survivalist. Is there a better compliment?
But I'm not gay.
It would be so much easier if I just liked dick. There would be less confusion. Most people have problems with gray areas. They like to put people into cubby holes. He's black. She's Blonde. He's gay. She's bi.
Christian, he's [This space intentionally left blank]
Men who ride the fence have the most trouble. I'm a self described 4 out of 10. One is completely straight. Ten is completely gay. (And that's just in theory because, in my opinion, nobody is 100% anything.) More than ever, it's socially accepted for women to be bi-sexual, but less so for men. I've found that many bi-sexual women can't fathom the idea of bi-sexual men. You're either one or the other they suggest. After I talk to them, I want to be bi-sexual just to prove them wrong.
I've kissed men -- I mean really deep kisses -- only at parties, and under the influence of either drugs or alcohol, or both. But I've never had sex with a man. I can think of two men I really love and possibly could even have sex with... and boom! That's where you go from a three ----------------> to a four, maybe even a 4 + on my human sexuality spectrum.
For those of you who know me, I mean really know me, this is no news to you. For those of you who think you know me, those of you who are still holding out for me to be gay, you are going to be disappointed. If you're family, or friends of the family, I really don't think you're going to be surprised. I've never hidden much from you.
My true friends know me for who I really am.
My name is Christian.
I'm a 4+.
* Not so with her flight attendent sister and friend the night before graduation.
9 Comments:
At 10:53 AM,
Anonymous said…
Christian,
that was truly wonderful. thank you for sharing. you've just rolled all the major emotions, fears and hopes into a single post.
there are a whole lot of folks that would do quite well by reading this.
I haven't kinsey-ed myself in a while, so won't hazzard a guess, but really, why does it matter?
Bi is a convenient label in some cases, but 'me' is an even better. it just takes a lot more explanation, but anyone worth talking to should want, demand, need the explanation.
mostly i go with 'freak' as it pretty accurately describes where i live on the continum vanilla people carry around in their heads (is vanilla a word in your lexicon the way i use it, it should be since you live in sf?).
i don't know if you were aware, but there was some pretty serious 'priesthood' recruiting of me while i was at UP as well, but I must agree, sex sure sunk Jesus.
when i was in 8th grade i got in huge trouble for suggesting to a teacher at my catholic school that jesus was getting it on while on earth.
tim fc
At 11:45 AM,
c. said…
Thanks Tim. I really appreciate your comment. The support feels good.
At 2:49 PM,
Anonymous said…
the more people that get off their 'i'm straight' kick and get into some serious kink kick, the better the world will be... and really, how can the priesthood compare with a great threesome with (fill in details)?
some people know, some people don't, i'd agree that most that know me would probably describe me the same way.
and dude, there are some really hot men in sf, and i can promise that they know how to go down. you'd do well even if all you let them do was suck you off. heck, you hardly have to like boys at all for that;)
was that too much?
tf
At 4:00 PM,
c. said…
Wait, "tf" and "tim fc" are the same people, right?
I could get sucked off any time of the week. All I would have to do is walk up to the corner of Market and Castro, but I don't. It just doesn't appeal to me. This is further evidence that I lean to the hetero side.
I'm with you on the kink.
At 8:31 PM,
Sherry said…
Am I the only one reading this post and thinking, "Duh"?
To quote a Southern aphorism... "Honey, you are as straight as the day is long." Anyone with eyes could see that. Yes, you may have been raised by almost all women, and you may come off-at the least-as a "sensitive male" and-at the most-as "effeminate"... but all anyone would have to do is watch your eyes when you are talking to a girl you are interested in and they would know you were straight.
People can be so ridiculous about labels. (sigh)
You know, I don't want to start a rant... but....
I am amazed with as much television watching as people in this country do that they aren't more attuned to the human beings around them. Actors spend years being trained in how to give non-verbal cues so the audience will know what their character is *really* thinking or planning. When people are watching a movie they see it and think, "Oh, see that? What he did right there? I know he is going to sleep with that girl if he gets half a chance. He's pretending not to be interested, but he is!"
But we can't translate that experience to the people around us. Why? I think it's because we don't want to know. I think it's because that we want to believe that people are just complicated and that it's not our lack of interest or attention to them that causes our problems with them. We lose meaningful contact with people, and reduce them to labels, because we stop "seeing" them... the real them, anyway.
It sucks... but I learn more about people every day.
It wouldn't matter what sexual orientation you were, anyways. You'd still be a super-cool-funky-freak-a-zoid.
There... that's my label for you. :)
Sherry
P.S.- Have you looked at my blog lately? There is a new link to my friend's blog. He name is Cassandra. She's the one that has a crush on you. :)
At 8:41 PM,
Christopher said…
Hey thanks for stopping by my page and tainting it with your fabulous comment...come on by anytime, and I enjoyed looking at your page as well...I miss living in SF a LOT...
xo
Kissyfur
At 1:35 AM,
c. said…
Whoa! I haven't seen such an outpouring of participation and support since I posted an Algebra II story problem here on Dirtyknees.
Sherry: Cassandra needs to email me. So, I'm "as straight as the day is long"? The more I think about it, the more I want to bulid shit with power tools.
Kissfur: Are you in Idaho? What the fuck? I've been skimming your blog, but I don't understand -- what are you doing there?!?
Heidi: Glad I turned you on (even if it was just a little) with emotion and spirituality. It's a trick. Don't fall for it. Deep down, I'm a kinky, superficial, pagan pig.
At 9:14 AM,
Anonymous said…
yeah, i alternate between tf and timfc.
i'm also responsible for the hyper-real numbers:)
i've heard more about your life in the last 4 months than in the 4 years before that thanks to this here blog.
and, i'd like to offer a follow-up to sherri, that being something like: when we talk about kinsey we should talk about multiple dimensions, not just assign a single number.
and i think you're comments really get to it. sex with boys ain't that appealing to you, but sex with girls, well now... just because i look lustily at ________ doesn't mean that i want to spend the rest of my life with one. (blank purposefully left, because, well, there's just so many things to fill in the blank with--[REDACTED due to inability to tell joke from not-joke without benefit of inflection] ).
but, you've also hit on the idea of romance or love and that's something that is often separate and should probably best be thought of that way.
both of these should probably also get a 'what would you do about it?' scale to go for a 3-d model. because sure, i might look lustily at farm animals, but i'm never going to do anything with them. i might look lustily at some goth-girl and bang her on the hood of my car. so, there should be an action measure as well--and you've only given us a very brief description of the action measure, but it doesn't sound that big, especially when mitigated against by drugs.
maybe we need some third scale for something else, but at the very least we should talk about 'who you want to screw and who you fall in love with' otherwise there wouldn't be so many straight men 'on the DL.'
so, it sounds to me like you'd be reasonably not-straight on one scale and pretty straight on the other. in our hyper-sexualized and divided world, we often associate traits on the 'screw' scale with those other dangerous words of straight and gay or feminine and masculine.
one of my friends likes to say, 'fuck it, fuck it all in the ear. we don't need gender, but we need lots of sex.'
i like to talk about sex as you may have now guessed. i'd do a degree in sex-ology too if i could. and really, when you start talking about human interaction it doesn't get much more intense, basic and close to what i might call 'human nature' as this.
yeah, i should stop now and go edit my dissertation, i could write about this all day.
At 1:02 PM,
Dern said…
(This is gonna be by far the weakest comment of the bunch, as I'm having trouble sitting in front of a computer right now and would rather be out and aboot)
That was a fantastic post! Very soul baring, to the point and the truth.
Post a Comment
<< Home