Dirtyknees...

"Why is this dripping?" is never a good question.

Everything but the Girl


I'm coming up the stairway after buying my morning Diet Coke and I see Molly (my decade older hot neighbor) coming down. She touches my elbow and exclaims, "Hi, I haven't seen you for awhile!"

"Well, I've been pretty busy lately with my ear to the wall listening to you have sex with your German boyfriend, Axle," I don't say.


"Well, I've been working a lot," I say.

She's five steps below me now looking up at me with her hand on the railing. She's not dressing up as nicely these days now that she has a boyfriend. Also, her hair needs new color.

She's wearing a pink shirt under a green corduroy jacket and it catches my eye. I hate pink used in excess, but I feel compelled to compliment her in some way as that's been our custom in the past. She walks by and I tell her: "Nice hat", "Cool sunglasses", "What an attractive, leather wearing, motorcycle riding, muscular, German actor boyfriend you have."

Today, there are letters on her shirt. A phrase.

"What's your shirt say?" I ask.

She puffs up her anatomically understated chest, opens her jacket, and I read:

GIRLS KICK ASS!

"You're far from a girl," I tell her without even thinking. I instantly put the 20 oz. bottle of soda into my mouth and take a 10 oz. swig.

She looks pissed.

Damage control. I search the cattacombs of my head and the nether regions of my Id for some kind of explanation I can share.

I swallow my soda.

"Girl sounds so diminutive," I say.

"What do you mean?" she asks.

I choose a feminist slant.

"I mean, it makes females sound small, inferior," I tell her, and then I shake my head as if I'm swatting gnats with my ears and nose.

I become Woody Allen.

"Yeah," I explain, "an ex-girlfriend of mine used to get mad at me every time I called her or any other female over the legal age of consent a 'girl'. Now, even I correct people. The irony is she was obsessed with the color pink and carried a magic Barbie wand with her everywhere she went. It's sick. I need to reprogram myself."

"Okay," she says obviously disgusted and weirded out.

"Okay," I say.

"See you later," she says.

"Yeah, later," I say.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home