I take out my lip piercing before I go to work and I repierce my lip when I return home.
Families come from all over the U.S. and Canada with their children to take part in research at UCSF and I 'd rather not add to their anxieties. It's hard enough having a sick kid. What if you're a Baptist Republican from a small town in Alabama and you've been assigned to a seemingly gay nurse with a facial piercing? Would this give you peace?
There's always a place for unique expressions of individuality, but a prominent clinical research center is not one of them. Nobody told me I couldn't wear it; I came up with this guideline by myself.
So far, I think it's worth all the pain and swelling it causes me. I expect this thing to heal completely someday.
Families come from all over the U.S. and Canada with their children to take part in research at UCSF and I 'd rather not add to their anxieties. It's hard enough having a sick kid. What if you're a Baptist Republican from a small town in Alabama and you've been assigned to a seemingly gay nurse with a facial piercing? Would this give you peace?
There's always a place for unique expressions of individuality, but a prominent clinical research center is not one of them. Nobody told me I couldn't wear it; I came up with this guideline by myself.
So far, I think it's worth all the pain and swelling it causes me. I expect this thing to heal completely someday.
2 Comments:
At 11:17 AM,
Anonymous said…
fortunately the liberal bastion that is higher education makes mine (eyebrow) along with my seeming gayness absolutely, well, i don't want to say appropriate, but the folks can't actually say anything about it and can congratulate themselves on ignoring it and being all supportive of individual expression.
At 1:09 PM,
c. said…
That's a really good idea. I love to fish. I could practice tying knots. I could practice removing hooks, too.
Post a Comment
<< Home