Dirtyknees...

"Why is this dripping?" is never a good question.

Last night I stayed in one of the most luxurious hotels of our trip. The whole place looked like a maharaja's palace. The bellboys wore all white uniforms and maroon berets. Every floor had a large terrace with lion faced fountains and flowing green foliage. The walls were painted with colorful intricate designs. It's as if they wanted everything to look as complicated and beautiful as possible. The architecture was so romantic, I thought I was in Morocco or Tuscany. At $17 a night, it was over our budget. Now, we are staying somewhere more contemporary and nearly as clean for half the price.

I just thought of a new way to describe India for the tourist: it's like the internet. It's really fun, entertaining and complex, but you're constantly getting pop-up ads and junk advertisements. You say to a taxi, "I want to go to Atithi Guesthouse." You get a pop-up ad. "Sorry," the driver says, "all guesthouses around here are full." It's a complete lie just to get you to go to another hotel that will pay him commission. "How about ________guesthouse."

Today, I told the driver strait to his face, "I'm your boss. I hired you. You drive where I tell you."

I can't help but being mean sometimes. It all adds up, then you explode on the next person that pisses you off. I'm going to try to take a little time out next time. Breathe a little. Say "Om" perhaps.

It's like that everywhere. Go for a walk -- pop-up ads in the form of beggars, physical harassment, and general scam artists. We've been pelted by mud balls, sexually groped, and told multiple falsehoods. Now, we retaliate. I chased a little boy who nailed Krista with a mud ball down an alley and told his mom what he did. People who grab me get a stiff face to face warning and a finger pointing. No use cussing at them, they don't understand or they think the f-word is funny. They understand physical intimidation. Hours ago, Krista was walking alone in a market and was grabbed in her ribs. Using her open hand, she pushed the guy who did it back by the neck. She had to take an auto rickshaw home because the streets are too hostile for Western women like her. It's ridiculous. Women are so repressed here. Ninety-nine percent of the people on the streets are men.

There are still some wonderful things to see around here. We want to tour some medieval styled palaces and forts and take some camels out into the desert for a few days on a group trek. But I am really ready to go home. I've never been as excited to go back to work, or to see my friends and family.

I want to thank Shelly and Amy at Medical Express for working so hard at getting me employment. They have been doing so much work for me while I'm away by arranging interviews, calling me in India, and keeping me informed of everything that's going on via email. Thanks!

My return journey is forming fast. I purchased my ticket out of India this afternoon. I leave Delhi for Bangkok on February 28th. I leave Bangkok for San Francisco on March 2nd. I should be in Portland, Oregon to visit friends and family on March 3rd.

I'm looking forward to see you all then!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home