Dirtyknees...

"Why is this dripping?" is never a good question.

I'm in the desert city of Jaisalmer, Rajasthan, near the Pakistan border. This ancient Indian town used to connect East Asia to West Asia and served as a crucial trading crossroad. Around 1150 A.D., the local ruler constructed a large fortified city atop a 300 foot hill. The fort is the most mysterious and romantic place I've ever been in my life. I feel like I'm living on the set of a movie. I'm surrounded by gigantic sand castles that serve as temples, shops, restaurants, and guesthouses. If there weren't Kit-Kats for sale and internet cafes, one would think it was still the 12th century.

I spent most of my time today shopping for camel riding wear and asking local men how many meters of fabric make their turban*. Among the other interesting purchases of the day: two overstuffed pillows (camel riding booty protectors), two red carrots (no orange ones here), and one bowl of yummy Tibetan country vegetable soup.

The people here are the kindest, gentlest, and most patient people I've met in India. I'm glad this is one of the last stops on my trip.


* Rajasthani turbans are typically made from 5 to 6 meters (roughly 15 to 20 feet of fabric!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home