Dirtyknees...

"Why is this dripping?" is never a good question.

It wasn't so bad getting out of Cambodia, however there were a few hidden fees, otherwise known as bribes, at each border. The fees were minimal, only $5 total, but we witnessed two Frenchmen get scammed for nearly $30.

Laos is much better than Cambodia. People are happier and not so desperate. We stayed for three days on an the island, Don Khong, which is surrounded by the Mekong river. We unknowingly arrived on December 2nd, just as the country started its 72 hour independence day celebration. The south side of the island was packed with farming families from all over the archipelago. I think many of them rarely see a white person. The kids stared and stared at us and a lot of people would innocently pinch or grab our arms as we walked by. So, for three days they watched us and we watched them. Highlights include biking 20 miles around the island, chewing sugar cane and drinking rice whiskey with a sweet natured, 70 year-old communist man.

We now have a lay over in Pakse, Laos before we head for an all night bus trip to the capital city, Ventianne.

Internet is very expensive here at $3 per hour. Down the road, however, I had my cheapest meal ever -- 60 cents for a giant bowl of vegetable noodle soup and a Pepsi.

I apologize for not responding to e-mails in a timely manner. I will write when it's cheaper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home