I passed by a very colorful, well maintained Buddhist temple just moments ago before I sat down to blog. Two little beige poodles challenged me on the sidewalk as I walked by. I looked inside the temple's gate and I saw a red sign with white lettering reading (word for word):

Not Running
When Dogs Barking
It Doesn't Bite.
I thought it was funny and cute--possibly poetic. Do people actually run from these poodles? Are the monks so gentle that they don't want anyone to be afraid of something such as a poodle? Maybe the monks have a good sense of humor and too much time in between their meditations that they feel the need to make a sign like this.
The more I think about it, the more it perplexes me.
If you read it again....
Not Running
When Dogs Barking
It Doesn't Bite.
...it can take on an even bigger meaning. Maybe the monks want to teach people not to be afraid--of anything. After all, when we look back, aren't most of our fears merely barking poodles that don't bite?
I've been away for awhile. I spent three days hiking near the Burmese/Thai border with a group of 10 people from around the world. Highlights include seeing hill tribe people smoking opium with westerners, river rafting on bamboo rafts, and traveling several miles by elephant. By far, riding on an elephant through the jungle for two hours was one of the highlights OF MY LIFE. They are such gentle majestic creatures. My elephant allowed me to sit high on its neck with my palms resting ontop of her head. Her head looked and felt like a big gray leather butt or a huge cleft chin with a few coarse black hairs growing from it. Sitting up that high, I felt completely dependent on her as we slowly edged by tall mountain cliffs and traversed down steep ravines. I will never forget the experience.

Not Running
When Dogs Barking
It Doesn't Bite.
I thought it was funny and cute--possibly poetic. Do people actually run from these poodles? Are the monks so gentle that they don't want anyone to be afraid of something such as a poodle? Maybe the monks have a good sense of humor and too much time in between their meditations that they feel the need to make a sign like this.
The more I think about it, the more it perplexes me.
If you read it again....
Not Running
When Dogs Barking
It Doesn't Bite.
...it can take on an even bigger meaning. Maybe the monks want to teach people not to be afraid--of anything. After all, when we look back, aren't most of our fears merely barking poodles that don't bite?
I've been away for awhile. I spent three days hiking near the Burmese/Thai border with a group of 10 people from around the world. Highlights include seeing hill tribe people smoking opium with westerners, river rafting on bamboo rafts, and traveling several miles by elephant. By far, riding on an elephant through the jungle for two hours was one of the highlights OF MY LIFE. They are such gentle majestic creatures. My elephant allowed me to sit high on its neck with my palms resting ontop of her head. Her head looked and felt like a big gray leather butt or a huge cleft chin with a few coarse black hairs growing from it. Sitting up that high, I felt completely dependent on her as we slowly edged by tall mountain cliffs and traversed down steep ravines. I will never forget the experience.
<< Home