People from Siem Reap ask me at least a dozen times a day, "You go to Angkor Wat today?".
'No," I invariably say, "I'm going about ten days from now."
My response always elicits a smile, sometimes a laugh and I can detect a little disappointment hidden beneath it. They want to make money off of my trip to the temples by driving me around. I am not the norm around here -- a white guy who just hangs out in a town world famous for its magnificent temple complexes.
I'm saving money and my sanity by staying in one spot. Plus, I have a new mission. I visited Angkor Children's Hospital this morning. I was expecting the worst imagining it was going to be like some kind of Rwanden refugee unit. It really surprised me because it wasn't that bad. It looks like a newer facility. At the front gate is a very friendly guard who tried to discern my purpose there, but his English skills were so poor I ended up waving him off and inviting myself inside.
In front of the gate are several benches with a few families sitting on them. A one year old was in its mother's arms receiving some kind of I.V. infusion. The kid looked totally wiped out with his head just flopped over his Mom's arm. He must have been severely dehydrated. I walked by them and went through the front door. The place looked like a real children's hospital, complete with bright graphics on the walls, children's drawings and staff pictures with an explanation of their chain of command. Certainly not the image of chaos and death I had expected. I stopped a young Cambodian man in scrubs who looked like he was heading home. He politely led me to the I.C.U to introduce me to the M.D. in charge. There were four children in the I.C.U.. Each was receiving oxygen, but semi-alert to what was going on around them, even the one getting stitches below his left eye.
I sat in a chair near where the doctors were counseling a mother who was, I assume, about to take a child home. As soon as they finished with the mom they came over to me in my chair. They looked like any young residents I have worked with in the U.S.. They shook my hand and told me their names. One was a surgeon, the other the head intensivist. I explained I was an American pediatric nurse living in Siem Reap for a short time and I was willing to work at least 4 hours a day for about a week. They seemed quite happy about the idea and explained I would need to speak with a their nurse manager, David, on Monday morning.
So, I am very excited to have the opportunity to volunteer at their hospital. I don't care what role I provide and will be only a little disappointed if they don't allow me to provide nursing care. I think they will be happy to have my help though. While I was waiting to speak with the doctors I attended to a baby whose respiratory alarm was going off. Nobody rebuked me for fixing the problem. They are so laid back. We'll see how it goes.
I am now staying across the river from the crocodile farm. Glen has left and I have the room to myself. My hosts have given me a bicycle to ride around town and provide me with free laundry and ironing. Next door is a large weight room I can use anytime during the day. All this for just $3, even less when I have a roommate. I am reading a super suspensful book called The Da Vinci Code. I highly recommend it, especially to my mother who is Catholic and tends to love books that manage to involve suspense and Catholic culture (e.g. The Sparrow).
I am hogging a free internet terminal. I finished my obligatory purchase of a Coke. Soon, I'll let you all know how it went with Dave at the Hospital.
'No," I invariably say, "I'm going about ten days from now."
My response always elicits a smile, sometimes a laugh and I can detect a little disappointment hidden beneath it. They want to make money off of my trip to the temples by driving me around. I am not the norm around here -- a white guy who just hangs out in a town world famous for its magnificent temple complexes.
I'm saving money and my sanity by staying in one spot. Plus, I have a new mission. I visited Angkor Children's Hospital this morning. I was expecting the worst imagining it was going to be like some kind of Rwanden refugee unit. It really surprised me because it wasn't that bad. It looks like a newer facility. At the front gate is a very friendly guard who tried to discern my purpose there, but his English skills were so poor I ended up waving him off and inviting myself inside.
In front of the gate are several benches with a few families sitting on them. A one year old was in its mother's arms receiving some kind of I.V. infusion. The kid looked totally wiped out with his head just flopped over his Mom's arm. He must have been severely dehydrated. I walked by them and went through the front door. The place looked like a real children's hospital, complete with bright graphics on the walls, children's drawings and staff pictures with an explanation of their chain of command. Certainly not the image of chaos and death I had expected. I stopped a young Cambodian man in scrubs who looked like he was heading home. He politely led me to the I.C.U to introduce me to the M.D. in charge. There were four children in the I.C.U.. Each was receiving oxygen, but semi-alert to what was going on around them, even the one getting stitches below his left eye.
I sat in a chair near where the doctors were counseling a mother who was, I assume, about to take a child home. As soon as they finished with the mom they came over to me in my chair. They looked like any young residents I have worked with in the U.S.. They shook my hand and told me their names. One was a surgeon, the other the head intensivist. I explained I was an American pediatric nurse living in Siem Reap for a short time and I was willing to work at least 4 hours a day for about a week. They seemed quite happy about the idea and explained I would need to speak with a their nurse manager, David, on Monday morning.
So, I am very excited to have the opportunity to volunteer at their hospital. I don't care what role I provide and will be only a little disappointed if they don't allow me to provide nursing care. I think they will be happy to have my help though. While I was waiting to speak with the doctors I attended to a baby whose respiratory alarm was going off. Nobody rebuked me for fixing the problem. They are so laid back. We'll see how it goes.
I am now staying across the river from the crocodile farm. Glen has left and I have the room to myself. My hosts have given me a bicycle to ride around town and provide me with free laundry and ironing. Next door is a large weight room I can use anytime during the day. All this for just $3, even less when I have a roommate. I am reading a super suspensful book called The Da Vinci Code. I highly recommend it, especially to my mother who is Catholic and tends to love books that manage to involve suspense and Catholic culture (e.g. The Sparrow).
I am hogging a free internet terminal. I finished my obligatory purchase of a Coke. Soon, I'll let you all know how it went with Dave at the Hospital.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home