Dirtyknees...

"Why is this dripping?" is never a good question.

Like I said, I was expecting some sort of refugee camp at the hospital. I envisioned walking into a tent and some British surgeon yanking me by the collar of my shirt and ordering me to clamp the femoral artery on some kid who just stepped on a land mine. Not so. I had a bittersweet realization today. Along with internet cafes, Happy Meals, and Hollywood movies, western medicine complete with its cleanliness, order, and bureaucracy, eventually takes over every nation of the world.

Imagine Chong, of Cheech and Chong, saying in his stoned drawl "Dave's not here, man."

I have to return to the hospital in 2 hours to meet with Dave. Dave is the one who talks to walk-in volunteers. Supposedly they have a volunteer form for me to fill out (but the Cambodian secretary isn't quite complete with its creation -- hooray some semblance of a "third world" work ethic!). I bet I have to supply them with all my credentials and education endorsements. Ughhh. I knew I should've brought that stuff. Darn those Doctors Without Borders and their safe practices!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home