Dirtyknees...

"Why is this dripping?" is never a good question.

I hung out with "the greasy Latin American guy" two nights ago. He is a very intelligent and calm person. I take back all my prejudices against him. I bought him a drink hoping that all my evil comments directed at him will be erased from the universe. I need good karma, especially while traveling.

Last night, Krista and I sneaked into a temple and accidentally came across some kind of memorial for a person who had passed away. It seemed we were dressed inappropriately for the event. Krista was wearing a tank-top and I was wearing shorts. So, we sat down and watched everything that was going on from afar. Some monks who were raised on a platform chanted and raised blue fans up above their faces during certain songs. It all was very fascinating and kind of scary since we shouldn't have been there.

A woman approached us and asked us if we wanted to eat some of the monks' curry dinner. We couldn't believe the gracious offer. We were crashing their party, but they were trying to make us feel welcome. We decided it would be best to share a plate of food; it would be rude to decline. The food was tasty and the show very educational. There was a full moon, tall towers covered in gold and mosaics all around us, and monks chanting before us. Quite a surreal experience.

We had a hard time trying to find a way out of the temple. All the gates were barred shut with mammoth wooded planks, medieval castle style. Krista actually removed one of the heavy planks and opened the double door only to find another gate beyond it closed and padlocked for the night.

We heard a ball bouncing somewhere. We followed the sound and found a teenage monk half dressed in his saffron robe shooting hoops on a cobble stone court. I said to Krista, "I should take this monk one-on-one. How cool would that be?" We both decided it would be cool, but we were already intruding, so I just approached him and asked him for the way out.

We found the way out and on the way home, we talked about how judgmental she and I were and how we should be like the monks, more inviting and always giving without expecting anything in return.

I have a whole bunch of pictures on CD now. I might learn how to post them on this site or send a few of them over email to some of you.

Krista is going to Laos tomorrow. I am leaving for Cambodia. We will probably hook up in a couple of weeks. Don't freak out if you don't hear from me. Cambodia doesn't have ATMs, so I doubt they have many internet cafes. I'll post when I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home