Dirtyknees...

"Why is this dripping?" is never a good question.

Loren Dern, a very good friend of mine since elementary school, e-mailed me and said the following:

"I don't know, your bag seemed pretty large when you had it at the house."

This comment deserves a public update on my bag.

My bag was large. Luckily (or perhaps not luckily), I've gotten rid of nearly 1/2 of my bag's contents by losing the swim fins and the 1978 Voit rubber snorkel mask, complete with snorkel, I bought at a Lutheran thrift shop for $3 in some California beach town.

The snorkel was lost the very first day I set foot for the beach on Gili Trawangan. It separated from the mask as I walked unaware down the dusty horse cart trail towards the beach. I was forced to buy a very modern snorkel the very next day for $20 at the Blue Marlin dive shop. The day after that, my mask's rubber strap broke as I swam out to the reef. On the same day, but later in the afternoon, my right footed swim fin ripped along its instep while peering at a sea turtle. Thus, the $3 snorkel set was no more after a mere 2 days of snorkeling. It would have cost me less money to have rented a snorkeling set right from the start.


Update: Krista has a new bag. It's a $35, made in China, sold in Little India special. She also cut her cargo in half by discarding her acidophilus capsules, cranberry juice tablets, a pair of black leather Mary Jane's, 4 pairs of underwear, an Eastpak day pack, one pair of capri pants, an extra box of bandaids, and a spare toothbrush (in its original packaging). All these items are now in her old bag ready to be shipped home. Most of the clothing is soiled, so her mom will have to do some laundry when the package arrives. God bless mothers.

We saw L'Auberge Espanole last night at the cineplex. I loved it. It was for twenty somethings--twenty something males, really. But, anyone who is a fan of the gal who played Amelie would probably enjoy it at least a little.

On the way home from the movie, Krista had to pee. She went off into the trees in some landscaped parkway at the base of a monument and a few midnight lovers. I sat and waited for her hoping she wouldn't get caught. She came back slightly out of breath. You could tell she was internally celebrating her first public peeing in Singapore. Krista is always challenging authority here by jaywalking when the a crosswalk is just a few meters away. I, however, had the fear of God put in me the first day here after I put an empty soda can on the YMCA member services desk. The attendant scowled at me and asked if I was finished and threw the can in some receptacle under her desk. No way am I jaywalking now.

Plan: do laundry in preparation of the trek up the Malaysian peninsula. How am I getting to Thailand? We'll deal with that later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home