Let the cultural deprogramming begin.
This morning, I awoke before dawn to "ALLAH AKBAR! ALLAH AKBAR! ALLAH AKBAR!". Welcome to the beach village of Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia. Lombok island is 90% Muslim, 9% Hindu, 1% indigenous craziness.
Today is Friday and I suppose a special day in the week in Muslim prayer. Loudspeakers have been blaring Arabic prayers and songs all day long from loudspeakers strategically located all over town.
It was the perfect soundtrack for my morning. I've been tempting fate for the last week by drinking local water, eating unpeeled fruit, and sampling fried morsels from old ladies at roadside stands. Earlier today, I had a loose stool and was very dehydrated. All the Arabic singing made me feel like I was crawling through the sandy desert delirious from thirst.
Krista, my new wife (remember we are in a Muslim area), fetched a couple liters of water. I laid on the bed and downed the water in about 5 minutes. After that, I felt much better.
Update on Krista's poop: she's got an active belly, too. So, I don't think she's going to need any surgical intervention to remove a fecal obstruction.
This area is beautiful and Krista and I are becoming a really good traveling team. I'm the price negociator and male protector. She's the experienced traveler full of wisdom and fearless in the face of perceived doom. I guess we are back together. We are not fighting. In fact, we are downright best buddies right now. It's nuts. I don't get it. But we are happy so who cares.
Our plan is to stay for 2-3 days in our very cozy, very cute bungalow for $3.25 U.S. per night. It's super clean and the bathroom is private and outside. Even the decor is superb. Krista did a great job finding it this morning while I was laying flat on my back.
Later, we are going to the Gili Islands to go snorkeling. the water around here is crystal blue and the beaches are made of white sand. Nobody is on the beach. It's low time for tourists. The weather is cooler and much windier than Bali--perfect as far as I am concerned.
When I get home, I have to show you all the pictures of me dressed up as a Hindu worshipper. Back on Bali, I was part of a festival that comes every 210 days. It commemorates the birth of the universe or something like that. Krista and I were the only white people there. We got stare after stare after stare. Good times.
Anyway, repeat after me. Muslims will not kill us. Muslims will not kill us. George Bush is a nutcase and has led us to believe we live in an unsafe world.
It is a wonderful, safe world. Now, go tell your friends.
This morning, I awoke before dawn to "ALLAH AKBAR! ALLAH AKBAR! ALLAH AKBAR!". Welcome to the beach village of Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia. Lombok island is 90% Muslim, 9% Hindu, 1% indigenous craziness.
Today is Friday and I suppose a special day in the week in Muslim prayer. Loudspeakers have been blaring Arabic prayers and songs all day long from loudspeakers strategically located all over town.
It was the perfect soundtrack for my morning. I've been tempting fate for the last week by drinking local water, eating unpeeled fruit, and sampling fried morsels from old ladies at roadside stands. Earlier today, I had a loose stool and was very dehydrated. All the Arabic singing made me feel like I was crawling through the sandy desert delirious from thirst.
Krista, my new wife (remember we are in a Muslim area), fetched a couple liters of water. I laid on the bed and downed the water in about 5 minutes. After that, I felt much better.
Update on Krista's poop: she's got an active belly, too. So, I don't think she's going to need any surgical intervention to remove a fecal obstruction.
This area is beautiful and Krista and I are becoming a really good traveling team. I'm the price negociator and male protector. She's the experienced traveler full of wisdom and fearless in the face of perceived doom. I guess we are back together. We are not fighting. In fact, we are downright best buddies right now. It's nuts. I don't get it. But we are happy so who cares.
Our plan is to stay for 2-3 days in our very cozy, very cute bungalow for $3.25 U.S. per night. It's super clean and the bathroom is private and outside. Even the decor is superb. Krista did a great job finding it this morning while I was laying flat on my back.
Later, we are going to the Gili Islands to go snorkeling. the water around here is crystal blue and the beaches are made of white sand. Nobody is on the beach. It's low time for tourists. The weather is cooler and much windier than Bali--perfect as far as I am concerned.
When I get home, I have to show you all the pictures of me dressed up as a Hindu worshipper. Back on Bali, I was part of a festival that comes every 210 days. It commemorates the birth of the universe or something like that. Krista and I were the only white people there. We got stare after stare after stare. Good times.
Anyway, repeat after me. Muslims will not kill us. Muslims will not kill us. George Bush is a nutcase and has led us to believe we live in an unsafe world.
It is a wonderful, safe world. Now, go tell your friends.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home