Dirtyknees...

"Why is this dripping?" is never a good question.

Happy Halloween! I'm missing my favorite holiday. It's okay though, I dressed up everyday for a week while at Burning Man. That should hold me over for awhile.

I'm at Sun Microsystem's Magazine Road office in Singapore. Krista is technically still a Sun employee. Hooray for air conditioning, Herman Miller chairs, and free e-mail!

Krista and I have been exploring China Town all morning. It was a complete bust until we found the massive food court that the locals haunt. It's a cheap and yummy food explosion! We got lots of free samples of sweet barbecued pork and a plate of rice, tofu, spicy green beans, and sweet and sour fried fish for $1 U.S.. One plate fed us both.

Yesterday, we went to Little India. It was fun because was much dirtier and lawless in comparison to our home base on Orchard Road. Little India is stall upon stall of cheap clothing, cheap food, and cheesy religious trinkets. We passed by a very colorful Hindu temple along the way, too. The outside of the temple was covered with 3/4 human size sculptures of Hindu deities. Their expressions looked so lifelike. All the decorations were mesmerizing. It began to downpour on the way home, so we took refuge in a little Hindu cafe and drank chai until the storm passed.

The bag Krista is currently traveling with is horrible. It has been the bane of our existence. I was with her when she bought it at some Big 5 store back in the U.S.. I told her it was going to cause us problems--we even made some bet, the details of which I have long forgotten, but she swore it would be much better than a rucksack.

This bag is gigantic. When we were on the public bus in Singapore, it took up a whole seat because it's too heavy to sit on her lap. Tired locals would get on the full bus, see a seat without a head in it, direct themselves next to Krista and then despairingly sigh as they realized they would have to stand because the bag took up the space. This bag is so big, it displaces people.

Even worse, this bag is on wheels. Wheels aren't compatible in lesser developed countries where sidewalks have huge gaps and pits--where one has to wade into the sea to embark onto a boat--where animal feces is piled everywhere.

I could list many other annoyances of this bag (i.e. its rigid structure doesn't allow it to squish into tight spaces; its handle is so short, you have to pull it as if it's a plastic puppy toy with a string) but, I'll spare you the details.

I, on the other hand, love my bag. It's perfect.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home